March's Book A Samantha Mystery, The Stolen Sapphire

Grab this months 2 book selections, a blanket and your favorite 18 inch doll friend, don't worry if you happen upon us mid way through, join us when you can and leave your comments here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com with any book club questions.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chapter reivews Chapters 13-14 and looking back


Chapter 13 DETECTIVE WORK
I love this very quick chapter! In this chapter, Mr Winthrop is trying to harm the girls and Aunt Cornelia comes to the girls rescue. Hitting him over the head with her umbrella just as Martin arrives to aid assistance armed with a GUN! Martin Reveals himself to be a Pinkerton Detective and apprehends Mr. Winthrop. The girls quickly realize this is why Martin is always around when there is trouble. The girls explain all the accidents at Ravenscourt were all because of Mr. Winthrop. We find out that Mr Enderby has been paying him all along to cause the trouble!
Uncle Gard arrives as Mr Winthrop is being taken away. The girls explain everything to their Aunt and Uncle and the family decided to move home that very night!
Eloise is sadden to learn that the family is leaving, but shares with the girls that she has talked her father in to making real change at the tenements and Aunt Cornelia asks Eloise to come to tea next week. The girls start packing and are eager to hear of the surprise that Aunt Cornelia and Uncle Gard have for them.

Chapter 14 A SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENT-
In our last chapter the family returns to their home and the girls are thrilled to see the changes for them in their new rooms. They find three small doll houses built for them with their names on two of them but one with out a name.
Nellie reveals that she was afraid that when the were left at Ravenscourt that the family no longer wanted her anymore. The girls are thrilled to find out that the reason that their Aunt had to leave was because of the Chicken Pox and the fact that she was expecting a baby! As she and her mother could not remember if she had the Chicken Pox as a child it could be quite dangerous to her if she caught them while she was expecting a baby. The girls are all reassured that they are loved and wanted in their big happy family.

Looking back
What did you like about The Curse of Ravenscourt?

What did you not like?

Did you have a favorite Character?

What was your favorite part?

Was the story believe able?

I would love to hear your thoughts and hope you will join me in reading our next selection. March 1st!
 As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. I love the ending! So sweet! Will it be a girl or a boy and will we find out in book number 2?
    I think that the book is pretty believable. People were scared of elevators and were superstitious. Back then, sickness was more common and less treatable than today. It's sad if someone really would cause all those accidents just because they were competition. However, there are people out there who are desperate to be the best. It kind of reminds me of the Jetsons, Mr. Spacely VS Mr. Cogswell I believe.

    As always, love this blog, the book, and can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved getting to know Samantha more, seeing her older and how her relationship with Nellie developed was interesting. I thought the mystery was fairly well-written,I certainly didn't have the whole thing figured out before the ending. I have only read one other Samantha mystery before this one and I have to say this one is my favorite of the two.
    The only thing that I thought was a little off with this story was the "Looking Back" section at the end of the book. From just reading this section, it would almost lead you to believe that the story centered on seances and paranormal activity. Thankfully that wasn't the case, because I believe it would have turned off a lot of parents with a variety of religious views. Then again maybe it was just me reading too much into it.
    I can't tell you how much I enjoy this blog and hearing from others the share the same interests as me. Can't wait to start our next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heather! I too agree that it was a strange Looking back section. Though I think it did help to give an idea of the times, though with out being there ourselves impossible to know. I am thrilled with this book and can not wait for the next one! So happy to have comments here and hear from others enjoying the books also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have to be honest, i abandoned this book because it was creeping me out at night and i get nightmares really easy. it sounds silly, but i guess i'm just a big chicken :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem Lissy, I understand. I do not think you are a big chicken and I am the same way with movies. Thank you for joining in!

    ReplyDelete